Friday, June 15, 2018

No.75
 Part of a famous forest path
in Ballymoney, Co. Antrim


-mcmd-

The first time I went on holiday without my parents I was 26 years old. Of course, during and immediately after the war, holidays were not possible for most people, and for me those years were followed by the time I spent in the RAF. 

My sister Rita and I went on this holiday together and for 6 days we lived on a cargo ship, along with perhaps a dozen other cruise passengers. From Glasgow we sailed down the Clyde over to Ireland where our first port of call was Dublin, then on to Waterford and finally Cork. 

We had ample time ashore, for cargo had to be unloaded and loaded at each port. From Dublin we visited the popular holiday resort Bray and from Cork we had two trips - one to Killarney and the other to Blarney Castle where Rita kissed the famous Blarney Stone.


No, this isn't Rita! I include this photo just to show the position you need to take in order to kiss the stone.



I remember the sea was very rough indeed when we left Cork for the homeward journey, and most of us were unwell. When we woke the next morning however, the weather was just perfect and we had a great sail all the way home. Since it was Sunday an ecumenical service was held on the deck, conducted by the wireless operator, and guess who played the piano for the hymns? 

-mcmd-

I’ve been in Ireland twice, the second time was perhaps 18 or 19 years ago when Jean and I went on a coach tour to Sligo on the west coast.

From Glasgow we travelled to Stranraer, by ferry to Belfast and then through Northern Ireland into the Republic.

One of our day excursions took us to Knock which has become a world-famous tourist attraction since the visit of Pope John Paul II in 1979. A hundred years earlier there had been many reports of the Virgin Mary along with St Joseph and St John appearing to local people. We were surprised at the large number of shops whose windows were absolutely crammed with statuettes, ornaments and religious souvenirs.

When we assembled for breakfast on our final day, we were shocked to learn that the fuel had been siphoned from the tank of our bus. There was considerable delay waiting for the Gardai, and we just made the ferry minutes before it was due to sail.

-mcmd-


The Giant's Causeway
consists of approximately 40,000 interlocking basalt columns in County Antrim on the north coast of Ireland.

-mcmd-

Finally, this was a popular Irish ballad when I was a boy.


 The Garden where the Praties Grow
words by Johnny Patterson

She was just the sort of creature boys, that Nature did intend
To walk right through the world my boys, without the Grecian bend
Nor did she wear a chignon I'd have you all to know
And I met her in the garden where the praties grow

Have you ever been in love my boys, or have you felt the pain?
I'd sooner be in jail myself than be in love again
For the girl I loved was beautiful I'd have you all to know
And I met her in the garden where the praties grow

Says I: "My pretty Kathleen, I'm tired of single life
And if you've no objection, sure, I'll make you my sweet wife"
She answered me right modestly and curtsied very low
"O you're welcome to the garden where the praties grow"

Says I: "My pretty Kathleen, I hope that you'll agree"
She was not like your city girls who say you're making free
Says she: "I'll ask my parents and tomorrow I'll let you know
If you'll meet me in the garden where the praties grow"

O the parents they consented and we're blessed with children three
Two boys just like their mother and a girl the image of me
And now we're goin' to train them up the way they ought to go
For to dig in the garden where the praties grow

She was just the sort of creature boys, that Nature did intend
To walk right through the world my boys, without the Grecian bend
Nor did she wear a chignon I'd have you all to know
And I met her in the garden where the praties grow

-mcmd-

Next post Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment