Friday, March 23, 2018

No.52


Napoleon Bonaparte
at the Pont dArcole


Bonaparte was a French statesman and military leader who rose to prominence during the French Revolution and led several successful campaigns during the Revolutionary Wars. As Napoleon, he was Emperor from 1804 until 1814, and again briefly in 1815 during the Hundred Days. He dominated European and global affairs for more than a decade while leading France against a series of coalitions in the Napoleonic Wars. He won most of these wars and the vast majority of his battles, building a large empire that ruled over continental Europe before its final collapse in 1815. He is considered one of the greatest commanders in history. and his wars and campaigns are studied at military schools worldwide. 
A Love Letter
from Napoleon to Josephine

Dec.29, 1795

I awake all filled with you. Your image and the intoxicating pleasures of last night allow my senses no rest.

Sweet and matchless Josephine, how strangely you work upon my heart.

Are you angry with me? Are you unhappy? Are you upset?

My soul is broken with grief and my love for you forbids repose. But how can I rest any more, when I yield to the feeling that masters my inmost self, when I quaff from your lips and from your heart a scorching flame?

Yes! One night has taught me how far your portrait falls short of yourself!

You start at midday: in three hours I shall see you again.

Till then, a thousand kisses, mio dolce amor! but give me none back for they set my blood on fire.

-o0o-

Josephine


-o=0=o-

No comments:

Post a Comment